Nothing is more characteristic in Rhodes than the olive trees that grow in the valleys and mountainous areas in Rhodes.
A large number of residentsand professionalcompanies produce several tons in Rhodes, cultivated mainly in the East of the island towards the South. It is one of the trees which is most profoundly associated with the Mediterranean, when they grow, the trunks of the olive trees twist, over the decades, to form remarkable living sculptures.Olive oil is seasonally extracted from the fruit of these ancient trees as well as those of younger trees.
Several private owned olive oil companies have attained awards in exhibitions in Greece and in Europe, recognized for to the high quality of olives, with strict quality methods and regulations guaranteeing the excellent quality of olive oil during the production stages. Top quality Rhodes olive oil is sold in different packages which can be purchased from localshops and duty free shops at the airport and the harbor of Rhodes.
What does Olive oil provide? Well-being, health and longevity.
The cultivation of the olive tree and its blessed product, olive oil, became synonyms of the Greek nutrition throughout the centuries. The father of medicine, Hippocrates and some of the greatest physicians of the eras since 3500 BC , recommend the intake of olive oil on a daily bases.
The health benefits of olive oil are unrivaled, and research reveals more benefits nearly every day. In fact, we are only just beginning to understand the countless ways olive oil can improve our health, and our lives. Olive oil is the foundation of the Mediterranean diet — an essential nutritional backbone for the world’s longest-living cultures.
Olive oil is a monounsaturated, heart healthy fat, loaded with antioxidants that help protect the heart and blood cells from damage. The intake of olive oil every day is not only good for the heart, but may also aid in weight loss and pain relief, however, because it's high in calories, you should drink oil in moderation.
Here are 8 health benefits of olive oil based on scientific evidence, written by experts and fact checked by experts:
1. Olive Oil Is Rich in Healthy Monounsaturated fats - This fatty acid is believed to have many beneficial effects and is a healthy choice for cooking.
2. Olive Oil Contains Large Amounts of Antioxidants- Extra virgin olive oil is fairly nutritious.Apart from its beneficial fatty acids, it contains modest amounts of Vitamins E and K.But olive oil is also loaded with powerful antioxidants.This includes antioxidants that can fight inflammation and help prevent the cholesterol in our blood from becoming oxidized, both crucial steps in the heart disease process,some of which have powerful biological effects.
3. Olive Oil May Help Prevent Strokes-Stroke is caused by a disturbance of blood flow to the brain, either due to a blood clot or bleeding. There are many large studies showing that people who consume olive oil have a much lower risk of developing stroke, the second biggest killer in developed countries.
4. Olive Oil Is Protective Against Heart Disease - Heart disease is the most common cause of death in the world! Observational studies conducted a few decades ago showed that heart disease was rare around the Mediterranean Sea.This led to extensive research on the Mediterranean diet, which has now been shown to significantly reduce the risk of heart disease. Extra virgin olive oil is one of the key features of this diet, and protects against heart disease via numerous mechanisms.
The truth is that dozens, if not hundreds, of studies have shown that extra virgin olive oil has powerful benefits for the heart.
5. Olive Oil Does Not Cause Weight Gain and Obesity - Eating fat does not make you fat, and olive oil is no exception. Consuming large amounts of olive oil does not appear to increase the likelihood of weight gain. It may even be beneficial for weight loss.
6. Olive Oil May reduce the RISK of Type 2 Diabetes- Several studies have linked olive oil to beneficial effects on blood sugar and insulin sensitivity. Both observational studies and clinical trials suggest that olive oil, combined with a Mediterranean diet, can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
7. The Antioxidants in Olive Oil have Anti-Cancer properties. Cancer is one of the most common cause of death in the world - People in Mediterranean countries have a lower risk of some cancers, and many researchers believe that olive oil may have something to do with it . There is preliminary evidence that olive oil may help prevent cancer, but this needs to be studied properly.
8. Olive Oil Can Help Treat Rheumatoid Arthritis - Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease characterized by deformed and painful joints. Olive oil can help reduce joint pain and swelling from rheumatoid arthritis. The beneficial effects are greatly increased when combined with fish oil a source of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.The exact cause is not well understood, but it involves the body's immune system attacking normal cells by mistake.